Sunday, April 15, 2012

CHEATING at the gas pumps (PRINT OUT YOUR RECEIPTS!!!)


CHEATING at the gas pumps (PRINT OUT YOUR RECEIPTS!!!)


This email was sent by the LA fire captain.

This is true. It happened to them three weeks ago somewhere in Pomona on our way to Pechanga. The pump should have totaled @ $68.00 (and change). When the receipt was printed, and she checked it was $ 77.00 (and change).


She got mad, went inside the store, asked for a calculator and let them do the math. They refunded her. she told them that if they cheat, they had better make it right. Normally, her husband would skip printing the receipt. Not her

We saw on the news the other night that this is
happening everywhere.

Brian pumped exactly one gallon of gas. The price did not match the cost of one gallon. It was higher.. He went inside and complained, got a refund.

There is also a number on each pump that you can call and complain.

This is a true story, so read it carefully.

I stopped at a BP gas station in GA. My truck's gas gauge was on 1/4 of a tank. I use the mid-grade, which was priced at $3.71 per gallon. When my tank is at this point, it takes somewhere around 14 gallons to fill it up.

When the pump showed 14 gallons had been pumped, I began to slow it down. Then, to my surprise, it went to 15, then 16. I even looked under my truck to see if it was being spilled. It was not.


Then it showed 17 gallons on the pump. It stopped at 18 gallons. This was very strange to me, since my truck has only an 18 gallon tank. I went on my way a little confused, then on the evening news I heard a report that
1 out of 4 gas stations had calibrated their pumps to show more gas had been pumped than a person actually got.

Here is how to check a pump to see if you are getting the right amount:

Whichever grade you are using, put EXACTLY 10 GALLONS in your tank, then look at the dollar amount. If the dollar amount is not EXACTLY 10 times the price of the fuel you have chosen, then the pumps are rigged.

In my case, as I said, the mid-grade was $3.71 9/10 per gallon; my dollar amount for 10 gallons should have been $37.19. I wish I had checked the pump. It doesn't matter where you pump gas please
check the 10 gallon price. If you do find a station that is cheating, contact the state Agriculture Department, and direct your comments to the Commissioner the info is on the gas pumps.


Please don't delete this until you have sent it to all people in your address book. We need to put a stop to this outrageous cheating of customers. The gas companies are making enough profits at honest rates.



This is the same thing as the butcher with his finger on the scale the company has nothing to do with the station owner's practices. Yes the big oil is making big bucks but the dishonest guy will still be dishonest

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hubby is ex military, he says you need to call the Dept. of weights and measures when you find these gas stations cheating you.

Chris A said...

Glad to know this. Wow, I will be pumping 10 gallons at a time from now on. One thing though, "Big Oil" isn't really making that much money from gas. Big Government makes far, far more. Big Oil makes less than 7% profit margin.

Anonymous said...

Here in MO, we call the Attorney General's Office. Any complaint about safety ("No Smoking" signs not in place, etc) or price gouging.

Anonymous said...

Here in MO, we call the Office of the Attorney General whenever we have trouble with price gouging at gas stations, or wonder about gas station safety.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, Mountain View California, At El Camino Real and Shoreline Ave. Pump 6, during a Fill-Up of standard grade gas, I was watching the gas pump which has annoying ads on a TV screen, I hear the Like of the pump handle stopping pumping, yet the meter was showing that the gas was still flowing. I pulled the pump handle out of the tank to verify that gas was not flowing--It Was Not Flowing yet the pump did not stop until it declared another gallon had been pumped. No refund was offered. No excuses. and No Help. The phone number on the pump was Air Quality Board, not Weights and Measures, I did call the number --AQB for complaints of smoggy vehicles only. I was give the number for the owner, 15 rings no answer and no messages. I have seen this before at a couple of other stations. At $4.00 it is a minor theft and yet when performed on hundreds of thousands of consumers the theft is great.