Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Your help is needed once again for a special project.


From Paul Stramer

I have put off writing this post for too long now.

When I started the www.annavonreitz.com website over 2 years ago now, I was using a Dell Dimension E510 running Windows XP professional with service pack 3.  When I bought that machine in 2005 it was pretty racy. With 4 GB of Ram and just under 300 Megs of storage we got by very nicely. By today's standards and Windows 10 operating systems it's an antique by any measure.

I am still using that  machine to write this letter.

But now, with all this extra work, and the fact that Microsoft has stopped supporting that operating system, which in turn, caused some of the software companies for the programs I am using to stop supporting any upgrades for their programs running on XP, I am faced with several very exasperating problems.

For one thing, there are no more security fixes or upgrades for either functionality or security holes in the XP operating system platform. That means they are no longer writing lines of code to plug holes that hackers use to steal passwords and private information on this machine.

Some of the drivers are out of date and there is no way to update those either.

Also some of the programs I have been using such as Google Chrome will no longer get updates for their browser when they are running on XP.
This not only leaves loopholes that hackers can jump through, but it slows down the operation,  and some websites that are running upgraded secure systems can not be reached at all.

I have been running another laptop with Windows 7, which is still supported until 2020, to post the notices to the AWeber email system, because it's one that runs upgraded security. In order to do that I must create the notice and then send it by email to another account that I can get on the Windows 7 machine, then post it to AWeber. There are many other unnecessary steps I am doing because of this problem that cost me lots of time and frustration.

The solution to all these problems is to upgrade to a new primary computer.

Since the work load has doubled in the last 6 months or so, I am now spending between 6 and 10 hours per day on the computer doing this publishing work for Anna, and the website work to keep my online business pages updated. I am also moderating the blog which is getting far more traffic and comments than last year.

I have asked a friend in Salt Lake City to spec out a new machine with the computing power I need to keep this effort going for the next 15 years or so. At least that is how long I expect Microsoft to support Windows 10 judging by how long XP was being supported.

He came up with a design for a custom build that will run the new programs and keep all the drivers and programs updated, and I have added a couple of things to his recommendations, like dual monitors, and a 4 Terabyte external backup hard drive. I have also added dual solid state internal drives with a raid backup system.

I have a fiber optic connection right to my home. Right now I am using that fire hose, to try to fill a teacup.
I would like to have a black hole to work on. In other words the fiber optic connection can run 20 times faster than the computer I am using. With the new machine I won't ever be waiting on the computer, and pages will load from the Internet like they are coming in from my drive instead.

That will increase my productivity by many times, and make it possible to run some new programs that will greatly enhance the effectiveness of this Internet part of our educational effort.

The problem is the cost.  The unit I would have built is priced at $2200.

I would greatly appreciate some help with that project, and I have created a special PayPal button just for that project.  I am calling it  Computer Upgrade Project.  Here is the PayPal button.

 


Feel free to comment below on this request for your help.

One more thing. I am a volunteer worker in this publishing effort. I own the domain name, and it runs on my server in Canada. I have NEVER charged Anna one penny for what I do. I am supported completely by your charity in this effort.  So thanks in advance for whatever you can do, and I will keep you up to date on this. I will also keep you all in my prayers.
May God bless each and every one of you.

Paul Stramer
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Everyone,

Last night at about 6:30 PM I sent out the request for funds for a new primary computer for the Anna Von Reitz publishing effort.

The request was for a goal of $2200 for the machine. The software I can handle myself.

As of 6 AM this morning we are just over half way to our goal, currently standing at $1211.36   We have $988.64 yet to go.

Thank you and God bless you for your kind generosity.

Here is the article again.

Your help is needed once again for a special project.

​​​​​​​
We are getting much good advice about operating security and functionality.  As we get into this I will be doing my due diligence
and following most of that advice. Thanks again.
You are all in our prayers every day.
Paul Stramer  KC7MEZ  WQVW245
SLC Distributing
PO Box 116
Eureka MT 59917
800 889 2839
pstramer@eurekadsl.net
montanablog dot us


PO Box 116
Eureka Montana 59917
USA

4 comments:

790 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Olive Oyl said...

To Paul Stramer: I want you, other writers (i.e., Anne) and our readers to know that Popeye and I do NOT agree with many, if not most, of the 'comments' by 790, certainly not the one we just deleted above. I watch this blog CAREFULLY with the intent to provide the best quality I possibly can in the articles, the information provided and even down to the comments. While comments are welcome, we closely monitor them and we do NOT simply approve everything that is submitted. This is not a blog where crude, insulting comments simply get 'approved' and posted, then a commenter stating their 1st Amendment 'right' to hurt and insult others. We knew John and spoke with him multiple times daily, calling each other back and forth, and we continue to honor his request to the both of us to help with this blog. We both do the work here for free - we don't receive one penny for what we do, and I spend most of MY time on this. I have told 790 on two prior occasions I will NOT accept his BS - and I MEAN IT. I will walk away before his stuff is put up to insult our friends, readers and the public - who come from all over this planet. His BS is NOT representative of the quality and our intent of what we are striving for here. Again, to you Paul and to our readers - please accept our apology for the insults that were posted by Freewill. I have had to delete such comments many times in the past 2+ years since John left. If this is how Freewill plans to continue with the comment posting on this blog, Popeye and I are gone yesterday. I hope you get your computer issues resolved successfully. Popeye and I have been experiencing them the whole time we have been working on this site. Both of us are somewhat handicapped and cannot just go out and get a job in our condition and at our age. Again, please accept our apologies. And to 790 - get lost - PERMANENTLY.

Anonymous said...

WOW, I didn't think Freewill was like that, speaking our minds are one thing, but when it comes down to crucifying and denigrating others with unruly comments, makes one think twice about all the sites, and those involved, as far as decent character is concerned- Olive Oyl, and Popeye, I am truly sorry that this has happened, and only hope that from now on you can ignore and refuse to post things from 790 that are insulting, demeaning, and threatening to those that frequent and grace this site, or, the information that is given- I am personally thanking you both for all you give and afford to all here that do appreciate the information brought out for us to understand- Terry and Jody-

Olive Oyl said...

Terry and Jody - great to hear from you, and thank you for your kind comments. I appreciate that you agree with me on the 790 situation. More such comments came in but I am deleting them all. No time to 'argue' or to defend our position with this person. We are happy to be here and to provide information and help where possible. Many blessings to you and yours - OO