Tuesday, February 27, 2018

A wealthy man and a beggar lesson - emailed by a reader

A wealthy merchant, observing the saint's devotion and sincerity, was deeply touched by him. the merchant offered the saint a bag of gold. "I know that you will use the money for Allah's sake. Please take it."

"Just a moment," the saint replied.
"I'm not sure if it is lawful for me to take your money. Are you a wealthy man? do you have more money at home?"

"Oh, yes. I have at least one thousand gold pieces at home," claimed the merchant proudly.

"Do you want a thousand gold pieces more?" asked the saint. "Why not, of course yes. Every day I work hard to earn more money."

"and do you wish for yet a thousand gold pieces more beyond that?"

"Certainly. Every day I pray that I may earn more and more money."

The saint pushed the bag of gold back to the merchant. "I am sorry, but I cannot take your gold," he said. "A wealthy man cannot take money from a beggar."

"How can you call yourself a wealthy man and me a beggar?" the merchant spluttered.

The saint replied, I am a wealthy man because I am content with whatever God sends me. You are a beggar, because no matter how much you possess, you are always dissatisfied and always begging for more."

No comments: